A.The Bible confirms the importance of thinking and our mindset:
1. Proverbs 23:7, “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.”
2. Jeremiah. 6:19, “I will bring calamity on this people—The fruit of their thoughts.”
3. Mark 7:21-23, “For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts…”.
4. 2 Corinthians 9:7, “So let each one give as he purposed in his heart…”.
5. Acts 10:9, “Indeed, I myself thought I must do many things contrary to the names of Jesus…”.
6. Genesis 6:5, “Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his hearts was only evil continually.”
7. Ecclesiastes 10:20, “Do not curse the king, even in your thoughts; do not curse the rich, even in your bedroom; for a bird of the air may carry your voice, and a bird in flight may tell the matter.”
- Our giving is based on our mindset toward financial stewardship.
B. What is a stewardship mindset? It is giving based on principles from the above Scriptures.
1. It is an open and receptive attitude toward giving financially to the church.
2. It is an understanding and belief in what the Bible teaches about financial stewardship.
3. It is 100% belief in the truth that as a Christians we must be faithful stewards.
4. It is a commitment to the 3-fold mission of the church: (1) evangelism, (2) edification, (3) equipping
5. It is continually working on placing giving to the church as a number one priority.
6. It is persistently and intentionally praying about being a faithful steward.
7. It is a mindset that is committed to moving giving from the bottom of a budget to the top.
8. It is perpetually remembering that everything belongs to God—We are only His managers.
9. It is the daily practice of being thankful for what God has placed in your hands to manage.
10. It is seeing the value of the amount (e.g. widow’s mite) as God sees it. Every penny counts!
11. It is always remembering WHY we give and why we are faithful stewards.
12. It is trusting God to provide for your real needs.
C. Keys to developing a stewardship mindset. It starts with a DESIRE and DECISION acted upon!
1. Believe that you must become an even more committed steward.
2. Make a covenant with God that you will be a steward as outlined in the above 12 points.
3. START NOW! Not tomorrow or when things get better. Waiting will prevent you from STARTING
4. START NOW with any amount—With God’s help I will improve my giving stewardship by increasing
it each Sunday by:
[ ] 1-cent [ ] 5-cents [ ] 10-cents [ ] 25-cents [ ] 75-cents [ ] $1.00 [ ] $2.00 [ ] Other $________
REMEMBER: “A lot of littles make a whole lot.” “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
D. Our study of stewardship will only have been informative and time consuming if we don’t increase our “Giving cheerfully and out of our poverty.” We want to become “DOERS of the word, not just hearers only” (James 1:21-26).
For a copy of my book Growth Through Biblical Stewardship, go to amazon.com