In whom the god of this world has blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them … lest Satan should get an advantage over us: for we are not ignorant of his devices (2 Corinthians 4:4; 2:11).
- THOU SHALL say you believe in God but don’t take doing His will seriously. You will be among the majority of those who don’t practice what they say they believe. This will aid my cause in a dynamic way. Remember that I believe in God, too.
- THOU SHALL have a copy of the Bible but never read it seriously, do what it says, or take it with you when you go on vacation; not taking it to church will really help me in fostering ignorance.
- THOU SHALL attend church services when it is convenient, the mood strikes you, or as often as you desire. The main thing is to audit, never take notes, a wandering mind would be excellent and contribute to you being considered a faithful member, which thankfully you are not. Remember, I never miss a church service.
- THOU SHALL participate in congregational worship services but not with your heart, only go through the motions, you will not be alone; never take singing seriously or think about the words to apply them to your life. You will appear faithful to those around you who may be doing the same things. Never, no never consider the hypocrisy involve in your behavior.
- THOU SHALL give when the plate is passed but only if you have any money left after you spend what you have on yourself, needs, and wants. Remember, your needs come first.
- THOU SHALL depend on the preacher, deacons, and elders to do ministry for you; and remember to be critical and judgmental of their actions, you can always find faults and weaknesses.
- THOU SHALL question God when He doesn’t answer your prayers quickly by giving you what you have asked for. Remember you don’t need Him to do for you what you can do for yourself. It’s okay to tell people you’ll prayer for them but never get around to it; you’ll look and sound faithful.
- THOU SHALL be present when the sermons are preached, and even Bible classes if you feel like attending; go ahead and appear to pay attention, even asking questions but don’t take notes, or make any attempt to let what is presented change your thinking or behavior.
- THOU SHALL always be on the lookout for things you don’t agree with, be a fault finder in others, always be a complainer as well as a gossiper; never, no never offer solutions.
- THOU SHALL always remember that it is acceptable by your fellow-members to limit your participation to the church building at designated hours; one each week will keep you on the membership roll of the faithful. The rest of the 167 hours during the week belong to ME.
[J.J. Turner, Ph.D. © 2020]