Here’s a very interesting and often overlooked Scripture:
“Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the VERY HAIRS of your head ARE ALL NUMBERED” (Matthew 10:29, 30).
Two observations in this text:
- Two small sparrows are sold in the marketplace for the equivalent amount of our dime. They were ready plucked and arranged in a dozen on a wooden skewer, or like our kabobs. Somewhat like the fade for chicken wings in today’s society. A sparrow compared to an eagle, dove, or exotic birds was basically worthless. However, that’s man’s evaluation. The picture is that two cheap birds were purchased and one fell to the ground. From man’s viewpoint, it’s no big deal. One is left. The heavenly Father watches over birds and notices even when the cheap bird fall to the ground (Assumed to be dead). The lesson is obvious: If God cares about what happens to birds guess how much more He cares about you and me who are created in His image.
- Then Jesus calls attention to every person’s hair. Hair care is a billion dollar business involving cuts, styling, coloring, transplants, etc. A closer look at the text reveals that Jesus used the Greek word arithmeo, from which we get arithmetic. Therefore, Jesus is actually saying God counts every hair on our heads and keeps a tally. Today hair number 1001 fell out; seven new hairs grew in. We only see a mass of hair on our comb or brush but Jesus knows the exact number. Here’s the point: God is aware and involved in EVERY aspect of our lives. Imagine, He actually counts and keeps a record of our hair. This means He really, really, and I mean really loves and cares for us.
The awareness that God actually counts the hairs on our head should create an awareness of how He knows what’s going on in every area of our lives; especially in our THOUGHT habits which, as a rule, are hidden from those we are around. God is obviously interested and aware of our thoughts because the word appears approximately 75 times in the Bible. For some this truth is encouraging and for others, it isn’t. Why? “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he” (Prov. 23:7)
GOD’S GOT YOU COVERED
What follows are some Scriptures which document that God always has us covered. Regardless of where we are, what we are doing or have done, our plans and our thoughts are all, and more, known to him. The Psalmist lays this foundation in the following Psalm:
“Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in hell, behold you are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me. I say, ‘Surely, the darkness shall fall on me,’ even the night shall be light about me; indeed, the darkness shall not hide me from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You “(Psalm 139:7-12).
Here are some specific examples of how God has our thoughts, attitudes, beliefs, and behavior covered by His continual awareness:
- God knows what we are going to THINK before we know it—it is omniscient: (Psalm 139 again): “You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my THOUGHT afar off” (Psalm 139:2).
- God knows every word we are going to SAY before we say it: “For there is now A WORD on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether” (Psalm 139:4).
- God knows when we are cursing, belittling, mocking, and making fun of people in our thoughts or private places at home: “Do not curse the king, even in your THOUGHT; do not curse the rich, even in your bedroom” (Ecclesiastes 10:20).
- The Third Commandment says, “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain…” (Exodus 20:7). This not only refers to the overt cursing of God but also includes the inner cursing God in the heart: “… “For Job said, ‘It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did regularly.”
- The wickedness which caused God to the destroy the world with a flood originated in the heart and thoughts of mankind: “Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that EVERY intent of the THOUGHTS of his HEART was only evil continually” (Genesis 6:5). God has our hearts covered!
- God knows where our inward thoughts and attitudes are when we are involved in overt worship practices. Ezekiel was given a vision by God which showed 25 priests outwardly worshipping in the temple but inwardly they were worshipping the sun god (Cf. Ezekiel 8:7-18). God has our worship covered!
- A good news point is that while we try and fall short of our spiritual goals, God knows the INTENT of our hearts. He knows we want to do and be right. “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a DISCERNER of the THOUGHTS and INTENTS
- We cannot fool God with our rhetoric and pseudo-wisdom; He is monitoring our thoughts and lack of real wisdom: “For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, ‘He catches the wise in their own craftiness’, and again, ‘The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile’” (1 Corinthians 3:19-21). God gives you wisdom from above; He has you covered (Cf. James 3:17, 18).
- Jesus made it clear that the sin of adultery could occur within the thinking process of a man. “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not COMMIT adultery.’ But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to LUST FOR HER has already committed adultery with her in his HEART (Matthew 5:27, 28). The word lust isn’t referring to a casual look at a woman or noting her appearance. The word lust is the Greek word epithumeo and means to “desire greatly.” (Cf. Galatians 6:7; James 4:2).
- God is aware of the fact that when we lie it is because Satan is in our hearts: “But Peter said, Ananias, why has Satan filled your HEART to LIE to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the lad for yourself? … You have not lied to men but to God” (Acts 5:3, 4). When we lie to a person we are also lying to God!
YES! God has us covered. Every location, thought, attitude, behavior, belief, and desire. He is moment by moment looking out for sparrows and counting the hairs on our head. The question is: Are we as mindful of our inner life as God is? Is our thinking agenda God’s agenda? (Philippians 4:8, 9).
GOD IS COUNTING YOUR HAIRS RIGHT NOW!