Relative to questions about prayer few are asked more frequently than, When should I pray?According
to the apostle Paul the answer is, Praying without stopping (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Paul is actually
saying “don’t abandon your prayer life” (habits). Since God does not sleep (Psalm 121:1-4), He is
ALWAYS listening and waiting for our prayers. Here are a number of answers to WHEN we should pray
that I have discovered in the Bible:
1. When we are in a predicament we should pray; like Jonah was in the belly of a whale (Jonah 2:1).
2. We should pray when we are in confinement; like Paul and Silas were in prison (Acts 16:25).
3. We should pray when we are thankful, which should be daily (Colossians 4:2).
4. We should pray when someone requests prayer (2 Thessalonians 3:1).
5. We should pray when our government leaders need prayer, which is all the time (1 Timothy 2:1-5).
6. We should pray when we need wisdom, which is an ongoing need ( James 1:1-5).
7. We should pray, as sad as it may sound, when we are approaching death (Acts 7: 59, 60; Hebrews
8. We should pray when we are in trouble, like the sailors on the ship going to Joppa (Jonah 1:14-16).
9. We should pray when we are making plans for the future (James 4:13-17).
10. We should pray when we need to confess our sins, which is perpetually (1 John 1:7-9).
11. We should pray when we face temptation, which is daily (Matthew 6:13; 1 Corinthians 10:13).
12. We should pray when we are anxious and worried, which is frequent because of life’s pressures
13. We should pray when we have decisions to make, which is almost daily (Luke 6:12, 13; Joshua 24:15).
14. We should pray when we feel discouraged, which is easy to occur in today’s setbacks ( Ephesians
15. We should pray when we know people don’t like us or actually hate us (Matthew 5:44).
16. We should pray when we extend a blessing to someone (Matthew 19:13).
17. We should pray as we think about the needs of others (John 17:9).
18. We should pray when there is a need for missionaries, which is all the time (Matthew 9:38; Luke
19. We should pray when the church needs to be prayed for, which is all the time (2 Corinthians 5:20).
20. We need to pray when we need to abound in love,which is all the time (Philippians 1:9).
21. We need to pray when we need spiritual understanding, which is all the time (Colossians 1:9).
22. We need to pray when it is morning, evening, and night, which occurs every day (Psalm 55:17).
23. We need to pray when a member of the church is in trouble (Acts 12:5).
24. We need to pray when we are rejoicing and our hearts are filled with joy (Romans 12:12; Psalm
25. We need to pray when we know others have needs (Job 42:10; James 1:27).
26. We need to pray when we need to ask God for something ( Matthew 7:7-12).
27. We need to pray when someone wants to pray withus (Matthew 18: 19, 20).
28. We need to pray when someone is sick (James 5:13-19).
29. We need to pray when we want to glorify and praise God, which is perpetually (Ephesians 3:21).
30. We need to pray when we are choosing leaders (Acts 1:24-26; 14:23).
These are just a few of the biblical reasons affirming when we should pray. Again it is Paul’s reminder,
Don’t stop prayer(1 Thessalonians 5;17). Don’t stop praying; the answer is coming. God is listening and